Glass Water Jet Cutting
Abrasive water jet cutting technology is a great method for cutting glass because it allows for contours and shapes that cannot be achieved with other cutting machines at a reasonable cost. From artistic tabletop inlays to detailed stained glass designs, mirrors, glass ornaments, replacement windows for antique cars, and more, there’s almost no glass cutting application that VICHOR Waterjet can’t handle.
Glass has a tendency to crack, so it is very important that the initial holes are produced with a reduced pressure of 7,200 PSI/500 bar to 11,600 PSI/800 bar. Subsequently, the pressure must be increased to a cutting speed which is cost-effective. For glass, ceramics and other brittle materials, you must gradually increase and reduce the cutting pressure by means of proportional pressure control of the intensifier pump, otherwise the material would be destroyed.
As an alternative to quartz sand, olivine can be used as an abrasive because it is softer, which reduces the potential for chipping, cracking and other surface blemishes and leaves a cut edge that is polished to a smooth finish.
Because water jet cutting does not vibrate the glass, there is no heat-affected zones (HAZ), or leave behind rough edges, almost no secondary finishing is required.
Advantages of Glass Water Jet Cutting
• Cut glass geometry that common machining cannot perform
• Delicate glass does not crack during processing
• Precisely cut thin to thick glass without changing any tooling
• Cuts glass panels up to 9″ (23 cm) in thickness
• Eliminates pressure of cutting process on surface material
• No heat affected zone (HAZ)
• No tool to sharpen
• No or reduced need for reworking of the cut edge
• No waste of material, narrow cutting gap
• Cost effective means of cutting holes in glass
• Create intricate design in any shape and size
(Not suitable for the processing of tempered or hot glass)
• Tabletop inlay
• Flat glass with numerous contours
• Stained glass
• Church mosaics
• Light fixtures
• Frameless shower screens
• Bullet-proof glass
• Kitchen and bathroom splash backs
• Laminated glass
• Window panels
• Glass components for electronic & medical industry
• Optical laser parts
• Replacement glass for antique autos
• Glass ornaments
Our glass designs take on a whole new look by using VICHOR waterjet because we’re able to cut much more complex designs. Before we purchased the waterjet machine, it used to take me hours to cut each design.
VICHOR Waterjet is your best choice for glass water jet cutting!