Since composites are not homogenous materials and are reinforced for greater strength, cutting composites requires a different approach than ceramic cutting or metal cutting. Using conventional352 cutters and machining techniques will quickly cause parts to wear out and require replacement. Employing the techniques often used for cutting granite or titanium may also compromise the strength of the composite and/or cause delamination, making the material less suitable for use in applications such as aircrafts and medical devices.
Advantages of Composite Water Jet Cutting
• Create complex shapes using composites with precision water jet cutting.
• NO Heat Affected Zone (HAZ) which is ideal for composites and more.
• Ideal for cutting up to 8” (20 cm) of composites materials depending on density of product.
• Eliminates most secondary finishing… no burrs or rough edges.
• Safe for the Environment; no toxic fumes or dust and garnet is disposable.
• Omni-directional cutting. Minimal tolerances. No wasteful raw materials.
• Cutting heads do not have to be changed out during manufacturing avoiding aggravating delays.
• Thick or thin, waterjet cutting is the most flexible cutting process for granite to foam.
• Minimal set up for automated cutting process and minimal downtime for quick seal change.
• Cuts without melting.
• Can pierce material directly without the need for a pre-drilled starter hole.
• No tool sharpening.
• One head for all applications, no guessing, no need to change bits.
• High or low surface pressure flexibility for sensitive or thick materials.
• Tolerances at ±0.003″/.076 mm.
VICHOR Waterjet is your best choice for composite water jet cutting!